As a decorator I was always wondering how to decorate my own place. I had few different ideas and I couldn’t decide on one. I was, however, pleasantly surprised how quickly I came up with the ideas how to decorate my almost 2-year old son’s room😊 I need to admit this room was the most important for me. It was such a pleasure looking for inspiration and accessories.
The most important was for the room to be neutral. Jędrek doesn’t have set hobbies yet (and for every kid it can constantly change). That’s why I didn’t want to choose main theme. I focused on little JJ to learn to be independent.
FIRST RULE- EVERYTHING WITHING THE REACH OF A HAND
I have put all the toys and books within the reach of his hands. After a month I have noticed big difference in my son’s behaviour- he can spend more time playing on his own, moreover he even “reads” out loud😊 I am so happy to see him learning good habits. He has got special reading space. I think it is his favourite place. I often catch him sitting there on pillows with a book or his teddy bear Edek😉 As I mentioned before the bookshelf is hung on such a height so it suits his height. By doing that he can chose by himself which book we will read before going to bed (however lately his favourite is PUCIO, that we read all the time- mainly his favourite 3 pages, the rest depends on his mood😊* Do your kids also read books like that?) Then we sit together on big, round, comfortable pouf, we turn on nice lightning- amazing Dino and cute Van and get into reading.
SECOND RULE- WE ARE PUTTING THING BACK ON THEIR PLACE
The other important thing is to keep the room tidy by putting things back on their place. Same as with the books all the toys have got their set space in baskets or containers. By doing that we can make sure there is no mess and Jędrek can find toys that he wants to play with easily. In one container we have cards with pictures, in the other small toys or balls. Wooden bricks we keep in basket made of see grass and teddies in material one. I learned this rule from Montessori preschool teacher- not to put everything together but to separate it into different categories. Of course there are days when the room is a mess cause my son decides to play with everything at the same time. However usually at the end of the day we clean so that at night we don’t step on ringing cow or car😊 Some of the toys have their space just on the floor. It doesn’t mean they can just be put whenever. Always after finished car race we park cars next to racetrack. I have to admit the racetrack sticker on the floor is amazing as it is great fun not only for the little one but for daddy as well (boys😊 ).
THIRD RULE- DIVIDING THE ROOM INTO SPHERES
When I discuss the project with my clients I always explain the placement and what is the purpose of it. I think the room needs to be divided into:
1. Sleeping space – quite simply it is just bed
2. Playing space – all the containers for toys
3. Learning space – f. eg. Table + chair/ desk
4. Relax space – place for reading, swing, tepee tent
I need to say that I am not talking about strict division. I want the spaces to work together in harmony. It is well known that the best way of learning is through play and playing is a form of learning. The division presented here is for your kid to have a choice. He/she can draw sitting at the table or paint on the blackboard. It is similar with the relax sphere- my son jumps on the pouf and the next second is lying down on it and resting. Let’s not restrict our kids but give them freedom to decide what is best for them (within common sense of course). I think it doesn’t matter for our baby if he rests on the rug or in the tent.
The most important is the feeling that the room is designed especially for him/her. We need to let our kids change something even if we don’t like it (we can always make compromises especially with older kids). I wish for all the kids to feel good in their dream rooms 😉
* Additional information about my son’s room
When it comes to the style of the room I wanted it to be associated with warmth, nature. Half of the wall is painted with green board paint. Above it I have put two cactus stickers.
The cactus image appears in few other places in the room. Very simple wardrobe from Ikea I have decorated with cactus handles. I knew I have to get them the second I saw them. To be honest this little detail helped me create the whole idea for the room 🙂
There is cactus organizer on the shelf and a toy in the shape of cactus. There is of course also real cactus in a pot – I want Jędrek to learn to take care of it. Luckily it is hard to kill a cactus ;).
There are few details in the room that make me really happy. I just love the hanging organizer that is like a mini gallery. My son asks me to hold him because he wants to have a look at the photos of himself with his little bunny. It is great idea that helps us see how fast he is growing from month to month 🙂
When it comes to his height, in the room we have handmade wall measure. It is just a simple wooden desk with a delicate pattern. I got the inspiration from Kasia piątypokój. I wanted to have all the stages of his growth marked permanently. I knew it can’t be a sticker as we change flats every few years, this simple desk is easy to be moved and suits every room.
The furniture in the room is white and made of plywood. The more nature the better. I didn’t want the room to be in very neutral, greyish colours so I added some colourful details that I can change any time if I get bored with it 😉
1. wardrobe – IKEA BOSTRAK
2. cactus handle – REGAŁKA PREMIUM GAŁKA DO MEBLI KAKTUS DREWNIANY
3. decorative hearts – AJKU
4. wall organizer – BELMAM ORGANIZER Z OCZKAMI 10×10cm
5. basket – BELMAM DRUCIANY KOSZ TRIANGLE M
6. wooden shelf – BELMAM PÓŁKA SHIFT WITH TRIANGLE SIDE
7. blanket – BOHO SHOP OTULACZ KOCYK WAFFEL DENIM NIEBIESKI Z CHWOSTEM
8. blanket – BOHO SHOP OTULACZ KOCYK WAFFEL ORCHA Z CHWOSTEM
9. green blanket – COODO KHAKI KOCYK BAMBUSOWY
10. flowerpot fox – BLOOMINGVILLE KIDS FOX Fabryka Form
11. cointainers Kids Concept – KIDS CONCEPT STARS SET OF 3, dostępny w Fabryka Form
12. bed – WOODIES CLASSIC COT BED
13. bedshits – DONE BY DEER Balloon Bedlinen, golden
14. rug – DONE BY DEER RUG GOLD/GREY
15. round boxes – DONE BY DEER ROUND BOX SET
16. shelf – DONE BY DEER THINGS SHELF, CROCO, GREEN
17. pillow knot – HOMLA SOLMI ONE SIZE poduszka supeł
18. green, blue and gold rug with writing – NUKI
– NUKI tiger pillow
– NUKI denim, We are the future
19. table – NUKI FLEX, PLYWOOD
20. pouf – BAHA PUF kolorystyka, na specjalne zamówienie do pokoju synka https://www.pakamera.pl/baha-0_s12405619.htm
21. bookshelf – IKEA FLISAT
22. van lamp – LITTLE LIGHTS VAN MUSTARD
23. dino lamp – LITTLE LIGHTS DINO PASTEL KHAKI
24. sticker tor dla aut – PATELOWE LOVE STICKER CAR TRACK
25. sticker kaktus – DEKORNIK HOME
26. sricker lack triangles trójkąty – DEKORNIK HOME
27. plywood handle wieszak – NUKI
28. basket – IKEA PUDDA
29. bag/basket – OYOY REPO BAG BEIGE
30. rabbit box – FERM LIVING do kupienia w Fabryka Form
31. teddy poster – YOKODESIGN
32. toys – you ca by in Manu Kids